The most famous prehistoric site of the Maltese Archipelago are the Ġgantija Temples of Ix-Xagħra, dating from around 3600 BC. It was the first of the Maltese prehistoric monuments to be cleared of earth and debris and the operation was undertaken by Lieutenant-Colonel John Otto Bayer, at his own expense, when he was Chief Civil Officer of Gozo (1819 - 1826). There are two temples: the Southern one and the Northern one. A Guinness Book of Records entry confirms these temples as "the oldest free standing structures in the world".
Ta’ Kola Windmill
Situated half way between Ġgantija Temples and the village square and visible far and wide, Kola's Windmill is a typical Gozo windmill, of which there are at least fourteen. Built in 1725, it is still in a working condition. Its late miller was a certain Guzepp Grech, who died at the age of eighty seven in 1987. After his demise, the place was restored and a folklore museum, set up in the miller's rooms, was inaugurated on 6 September 1992.
Plague Cemetery and Hospital
On 7 April 1813, plague reached Malta from the city of Constantinople. Due to a very strict quarantine, Gozo was freed from the epidemic. All of a sudden, when the plague had been overcome in Malta, it broke out in Xaghra in mid-February 1814. The locality of Xaghra was immediately isolated by a double cordon of soldiers and a temporary hospital was set up in a large farmhouse known as Tal-Qasam in the area of Ghajn Lukin overlooking the cemetries. One must note the courage of the British physician George Mc Adam, who voluntarily chose to come to Xaghra curing the sick people, with the risk of getting infected. During this tragic epoque, one hundred and four persons (104) died in all. These included Doctor Mc Adam himself and the parish priest Dun Vincenz Cauchi, who passed away on 27 April. By 26 July, the plague had been stamped out. On 8 September 1814, Malta was officially declared free from this epidemic. The victims are all buried in a field some distance away from the hospital.
Calypso Cave, overlooking the fantastic and sandy bay of Ramla, is the legendary quarters of the nymph Calypso. According to the Odyssey, an ancient Greek poem attributed to Homer who fluorished in the ninth century BC, when Ulysses was returning from Troy to Ithaca after the Trojan War, he was shipwrecked on Ogygia, the island of Calypso. Ogygia is identified with Gozo. From this artistic cave, one can enjoy a beautiful view of Ramla Bay.
This circle is situated in the area commonly known as Tal-Qaċċa. The cleaning of the site was initiated by John Otto-Bayer but it was never concluded and the site was converted again into arable land. It was rediscovered by Xaghra-born Joseph Attard Tabone, who was also instrumental for its excavation between 1987 and 1994. He is the authority on prehistoric Gozo and according to him, the site might more accurately be referred to as Hypogeum, the necropolis of the Temple builders. The site consists of a series of natural cavities of various sizes adapted for burials. The excavations produced new knowledge of the funerary customs of the prehistoric people of the Maltese Islands.
Ninu’s Cave and Xerri’s Grotto
Easily accessible from the village square, there are two splended stalactites and stalagmites caves. The first is Ninu's Cave in January Street and the second is Xerri's Grotto, situated in a street of the same name. They are both situated within private residences, but they are accessible to the public.
Museum of Toys
In Ġnien Xibla Street, there is the Pomskizillious Toys Museum, a private collection of toys from the nineteenth and twentieth century owned by Edwin and Susan Lowe. The Museum was opened on 19 August 1992. There is a large collection of dolls and dolls' houses and an array of playthings for boys and girls from several parts of Europe.
Santa Verna Temples
The remains of Santa Verna Temple lie to the north west of the village where only a group of three upright megaliths survive in situ. The place-name is derived from a chapel dedicated to Saint Venera, Virgin and Martyr, that once stood in the area. L-Għar ta’ Għejzu
Il-Ġebla ta’ Sansuna
Il-Ġebla ta’ Sansuna